Jul 31, 2013

D134: Risotto for Bambino

Today I experimented with an idea I've had for a while - chicken & corn risotto for Bub.

Here is the prototype recipe I did tonight:

1 can of creamed carm (310g)
1 small can of corn kernels (optional)
300g minced chicken
1/2 cup arborio rice

1. With a bit of oil in a medium saucepan, fry the chicken and break it up as much as possible.
2. Add the corn and rice.  Stir until all the rice is wet.
3. Add the creamed corn and combine. Stir until it's reduced a little.
4. Add about a quarter cup of water and stir. Continue adding water and stirring until the rice is cooked. 
5. Blend or process to a consistency your baby prefers (or not).

Variations
Use chicken stock instead of water
Add chopped omelette* or peas at the end
Begin by frying an onion

I've found chicken stock to be quite salty and a very strong flavour for Bub.  Although I bought salt reduced stock for this meal, I decided to skip it and go conservatively for a new dish.

Another variation I'm considering is to fry the rice a bit first, add at least half a cup or so of water and then corn, and then the chicken.  Cooking the minced chicken in water would break it up more finely, I think, and make it less chewy for Bub.  The creamed corn would go in as the second batch of water.

I don't yet know whether Bub will take to this one, so cannot report any success.  She likes chicken by itself but hasn't had corn before.  We'll see after a week or so I suppose.

In other news, I've completed the parts of the Baby gift I'm knitting and have begun the decorating.  I'm choosing to decorate it while it's flat, rather than once assembled, as I think it'll be a bit easier that way. Especially if I make mistakes or make changes.

*If I were to add egg it would make it a very fowl dish indeed - the chicken, its food and its egg!  I should call it Chicken Coup Goop.

-----
Next day update:  Bub says nnnnope. But, you know, I've got about 20 tbp of this so don't worry Bub THERE'S TIME.

Fortnight later update:  A few days ago Bub ate two cubes of this - about 3 tbp!  I've been giving it to her for lunch and, at half way through the batch, I've eaten most of it myself.  However, these last few days have been a success and she's getting some good food into her!  Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment