Mar 24, 2014

D263&4: Getting theeeere

I'm sure I'm dragging my feet over breaking ground on the actual machine quilting.  But... I just wanna be sure, 'kay?

I bought a bunch of threads that compliment the colour ways.  The backing thread will be all white cotton, and I'll only use the coloured thread on their matching strips.

I also need to practise using the walking foot. 

My quilting plan
If I 'stitch in the ditch' - which is sewing on the seam line and a common way to start or stabilise a quilt, and apparently terribly popular - I'm only going to be stitching on white fabric.  All the coloured seam allowances have been pressed toward the coloured fabric to keep from having a coloured shadow under the white fabric.  Stitching in the ditch, I think, will not really stabilise the coloured sections of the quilt.

Another slight problem I have is the division of the space.  Initiwlly I imagined stitching in the ditch and doing one or two echoing lines in each coloured and white band.  But the widths don't easily divide. 
Each band is 3.5cm - or 2 3/4" - wide. The inches are useless (coz how do you divide 11/4? (Hint: making it 22/8 doesn't help)). 35mm isn't a prime but it's still only got two factors.  I'm not interested in stitching every quarter inch nor am I willing to stitch every 7mm.

My solution: I'm stitching a quarter inch line either side of the zigzag seam.  This will stabilise both strips and protect the joining seams but only give me two lines to sew per band.  I'll only be going horizontally, with no vertical lines planned at this stage. For a cot sized quilt I think this should be strong enough.

Here is how I prepared a strip of quilting cotton for practise zigzags.  The green line represents the joining seam and its junctions because, in practise, those are the only guides I'll have for the quilt line.  I'll be using a walking foot attachment and if I need more practise I'll use already stitched lines as a guide.  
Now, I need to actually put foot to fabric and give it a bash! (Have I said that before...?)

The plan and tracing, then ruling and marking a 'vertical seam' guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment