Dec 24, 2013

D216-23: And now, for something completely different.

Oh Christmas.  What else can inspire silly aspirational gift projects in the time-poor.  Nothing, that's what.

So, my MIL had mentioned a desire for some seat cushions, some time ago, and I'd thought it might be a nice gift.  I had nothing else coming to mind.  At some point, about a week and a half ago, I asked my FIL if he'd measure up the seat, just in case this worked out...

I coincidentally had a need to be around Nunawading, so I dropped in on Clark Rubber and had some foam cut... And soon afterward I happened to be able to shop at Spotlight without Bub, which is an opportunity for good decision-making, so some fabric was bought (way too much, but oh well).

Then I made a pattern...


I covered the foam in calico, being careful to not squish it.


Before I knew it, I'd found enough time to make a prototype and cut out another cushion cover.  From a not-so-promising beginning, I've come through to bringing the machine along to the inlaws' to sew up the remaining covers.  This meant I couldn't surprise my MIL with it very well, but that's not a big deal.

The only real misfortune: yesterday, for the second time ever, I broke a needle sewing over a pin!  This was very frustrating, as everyone was out and I had a few hours to myself to get it done, and then - BAM - thwarted! It took me a while to regroup after that because a piece of needle hit my eye and had me rattled for a bit.  

Today, while Bub was occupied by family, visits to the pool and pottering around, I finished them off. Hurrah!  A proper post about them later, but here's the short version: both MIL and I are very pleased with them. Right now, however, I'm Christmassing.  

Wishing you and yours a safe and happy holiday season. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment